- Gift of Miss Dorothy Williams, 1965
- 375 x 525mm
- View on google maps
Large stands of giant tōtara once stood at Wairewa Little River on Horomaka Banks Peninsula. There was something of a boom in forestry at Wairewa during the 1860s and 1870s and most of this forest was felled; Thomas Cane’s watercolour of the region in 1883 hints at the transformation to pasture. The gaps in the forest expose the landscape beyond, while the shift to a pastural landscape is signalled by fences and cattle standing in the Ōkiri stream. This loss of habitat had a significant effect throughout Horomaka and led to a dramatic decline in the populations of native birds.
Ship Nails and Tail Feathers, 10 June – 22 October 2023