- Christchurch Art Gallery Trust Collection
- 710 x 610mm
- View on google maps
‘A barn in Picardy’ dates from June 1914, when Frances Hodgkins had established a teaching studio in the French village of Equihen, Picardy. Although Picardy was popular with British artists, the weather during Hodgkins’s stay was atrocious and by mid July she and her students had abandoned the village for Concarneau in Brittany. The idyllic farmyard scene belies the political turmoil in Europe at the time and the beginning of the First World War at the end of July. Her class dissolved, and after several weeks of ‘anxious wandering’ she finally reached the safety of England in late September. She based herself at St Ives, Cornwall until the end of the war.